SHRM Lewis & Clark are an affiliate of the Society for Human Resource Management serving primarily St. Charles, Lincoln and Warren Counties in Missouri. Whether you are new to the HR field or have many years of experience, they are a great resource for networking, information, professional development and continued support of excellence in Human Resources.
1.What was SHRM Lewis & Clark’s strategy for engaging new members in the past year?
We encourage all board members and active members to spread the word about our quality programs, intimate setting and welcoming approach. Our Board is committed not only in their individual roles but the broader mission and vision of the Chapter. All members understand the value of collectively connecting to each other, as well as, HR professionals at the local, State and National level.
Our Chapter is considered a medium size Chapter. Our group size allows us to take an even more personalized approach to onboarding and continual connection. We have welcoming and friendly networking opportunities, attend the MOSHRM Conference where we promote the Chapter, get involved in the community, keep it local and stress the benefits of our Chapter’s offerings. Word spreads fast!
2. Tell us about a successful event/meeting you organized last year.
Each fall we hold an annual networking and recruiting happy hour where we encourage current members to bring a friend! Inviting potential chapter members allows them to “test drive” the organization. This friendly and informative HR networking event brings together professionals across diverse fields, including large corporate HR professionals, one-person HR department leaders, start-ups, students, SMEs and independent consultants.
3. The SHRM Lewis & Clark network is extensive. Does the board get ideas on how to improve membership value from other organizations?
We believe in the value of effective and continual two-way communication. After each member meeting we send a survey to each attending member asking to rate the event and open-ended questions, as well as, their suggestions on future programs. The board takes this data seriously. We use it to tweak our process when necessary and bring relevant programs to future meetings.
In addition, we exchange different ideas from each chapter during our meetings with the MO State Council. Each president will share things they are working on or other ideas they have had for their Chapters that have had great success. At our annual conference last year, we even did round tables with the entire group to share.
4. Do you have any tips/advice to share with other board volunteers?
• Actively look for opportunities to promote the group and members. Remember you are not there to promote your own self-interests.
• Create quality job descriptions for each board role and offer a thorough onboarding process for incoming board members.
• Remember all members have a choice! If they don’t feel a ‘part of’ they will seek out other more fulfilling organizations. Kindness and professionalism go a long way!
• We ask every board member to walk the room before each member meeting. Talking with all members, welcoming new members and making introductions.
• Communicate! Communicate! Communicate!
5. What is in store for your members this year?
Quality and relevant programs, our fall networking event, continued networking opportunities and ways to get involved in the community.
6. How have been able to utilize StarChapter to run SHRM Lewis & Clark and reach its goals?
Our previous site was clunky, hard to navigate and required a significant amount of manual work. StarChapter has freed up board members time to focus on more strategic level needs for the Chapter. There is peace of mind knowing reporting is accurate and easily extracted. Customer support is timely and professional.